AIDS Documentary Shortlisted for Oscar
BY Jeremy Kinser
December 01 2011 5:00 AM ET
We Were Here, opened to exceptional reviews in September and accomplished what every good documentary aspires to — sparking a dialogue, here between survivors of that era and a younger generation of gay men who are often afraid to ask about the AIDS crisis. In August director David Weissman described the making of the film to The Advocate, saying, "We cried pretty much every day in the editing room, but there was a point where we realized we weren’t crying at sadness, we were crying at beauty. Partly the beauty that was being expressed on-screen but partly a realization of what it might generate, the healing capacity of the film."
Each year, the members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Documentaries Screening Committee select a short list of 15 films that are eligible for consideration for nomination for an Oscar for Best Documentary. We Were Here has been announced as one of the 15 films that will be considered for the 2011 nominations, which will be announced January 24. "Regardless of what happens from here on in, the short list itself is a great honor, and tremendous validation for the film," Weissman says.
Watch the film's trailer below. Read an interview with the filmmakers here.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 1 hour 4 min ago
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM