AIDS Documentary Shortlisted for Oscar
BY Jeremy Kinser
December 01 2011 5:00 AM ET
We Were Here, opened to exceptional reviews in September and accomplished what every good documentary aspires to — sparking a dialogue, here between survivors of that era and a younger generation of gay men who are often afraid to ask about the AIDS crisis. In August director David Weissman described the making of the film to The Advocate, saying, "We cried pretty much every day in the editing room, but there was a point where we realized we weren’t crying at sadness, we were crying at beauty. Partly the beauty that was being expressed on-screen but partly a realization of what it might generate, the healing capacity of the film."
Each year, the members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Documentaries Screening Committee select a short list of 15 films that are eligible for consideration for nomination for an Oscar for Best Documentary. We Were Here has been announced as one of the 15 films that will be considered for the 2011 nominations, which will be announced January 24. "Regardless of what happens from here on in, the short list itself is a great honor, and tremendous validation for the film," Weissman says.
Watch the film's trailer below. Read an interview with the filmmakers here.
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer March 14 2014 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples March 14 2014 4:14 PM