BY Advocate.com Editors
October 21 2009 9:00 AM ET
Numerous studies have shown that non–AIDS-related illnesses are far more likely to be serious or fatal for HIVers today than ailments linked with the virus itself. So for men, this means that five key medical tests are more crucial than ever before.
Cardiac tests. These include blood-pressure tests, cholesterol and triglyceride measurements, blood-sugar screenings, and waist measurements (a waist size larger than 40 inches dramatically increases heart disease risks).
Testicular exam. All men younger than 40 should regularly examine themselves and have a doctor do the screening during an annual physical to look for signs of testicular cancer.
Prostate screenings. All men 50 and older should receive an annual rectal exam and a prostate-specific antigen test. If your family has a history of prostate cancer or you are African-American, screenings should start at age 45.
Colonoscopy. Regular screenings for early signs of colon cancer should start at 50 -- and even younger for men with a family history of the disease.
Skin exam. Men of all ages -- particularly those with a history of sun exposure or sunburns -- should be checked head to toe for early signs of skin cancer, the most common form of cancer among American men.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Gay Women - News & Culture for Lesbian, Bisexual, and Trans Women
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 49 min 12 sec ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM