BY Neal Broverman
December 09 2009 8:35 PM ET
California allows stem cell research, but is there a worry about the controversial use of embryonic stem cells?
We don’t believe so because we’re predominantly using cells that already matured into a blood-forming stem cell unit, so they’re not necessarily embryos or anything of that nature. Currently, what we’re doing is utilizing the same type of approach that’s utilized in bone marrow transplantation and tissue transplantation.
Would all the work you’ve done not been possible when Bush-era restrictions on stem cell research were in place?
Due to its use of blood-forming stem cells, it wouldn’t be so much hindered. But overall, the kind of atmosphere is a lot more conducive to facilitating this type of research. The study was funded by the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine; the Proposition 71 money. Due to the passage of Proposition 71, the environment in California has been highly conducive to the success of this work.
What’s the response been from the medical community?
The response has been very positive; [the findings have] a lot of potential to allow the development of therapeutics, not just for HIV but for other viruses that cause chronic infections in humans — like hepatitis B, hepatitis C, herpes viruses, and papillomaviruses — that the human immune system is in itself incapable of clearing. In addition it can be expanded to work involving cancer and tumors. But the scientific community in general has met the [research results] with a high degree of interest. This is really the first time this type of approach and this type of technology has been utilized in human tissue.
How hopeful are you that this will lead to a vaccine?
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 3 min 25 sec ago
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 5 min 35 sec ago
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 32 min 20 sec ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 1 hour 3 min ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 3:30 PM
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 3:18 PM