BY Frank Spinelli, M D
April 15 2010 2:30 PM ET
Protein-rich foods include chicken and turkey; fish, such as salmon, tuna, and snapper, are also high in protein, except when deep- fried. The number one source for protein is egg whites, which are very popular for weight trainers; however, avoid the yolk, which is high in cholesterol. Red meats are also a good source of protein. Contrary to popular belief, lean cuts of sirloin, round, and chuck have less then 7 percent fat.
Since most people argue that their diet is adequate, try keeping a food journal for twenty- four hours. Write down everything you eat and the time at which it was consumed. Afterward, review the journal with your doctor to see exactly what your diet consists of.
Maintaining a routine diet and exercise regimen is a great way to keep in shape. Do not get obsessed with weight itself. It’s better to rely on how well your clothes fit then an actual number.
Finally, no gay health assessment would be complete without a thorough review of how you envision yourself. Gay men are particularly prone to issues concerning body image. Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) is an unhealthy preoccupation with one’s appearance that can interfere with daily life, creating anxiety and depression. The result is a compulsive concern over the slightest defect in one’s own appearance. This can lead to eating disorders, anabolic steroids use, and plastic surgery.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 2 hours 14 min ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM