BY Frank Spinelli, M D
April 15 2010 2:30 PM ET
Protein-rich foods include chicken and turkey; fish, such as salmon, tuna, and snapper, are also high in protein, except when deep- fried. The number one source for protein is egg whites, which are very popular for weight trainers; however, avoid the yolk, which is high in cholesterol. Red meats are also a good source of protein. Contrary to popular belief, lean cuts of sirloin, round, and chuck have less then 7 percent fat.
Since most people argue that their diet is adequate, try keeping a food journal for twenty- four hours. Write down everything you eat and the time at which it was consumed. Afterward, review the journal with your doctor to see exactly what your diet consists of.
Maintaining a routine diet and exercise regimen is a great way to keep in shape. Do not get obsessed with weight itself. It’s better to rely on how well your clothes fit then an actual number.
Finally, no gay health assessment would be complete without a thorough review of how you envision yourself. Gay men are particularly prone to issues concerning body image. Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) is an unhealthy preoccupation with one’s appearance that can interfere with daily life, creating anxiety and depression. The result is a compulsive concern over the slightest defect in one’s own appearance. This can lead to eating disorders, anabolic steroids use, and plastic surgery.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 1 hour 58 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 2 hours 2 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth May 21 2013 6:34 PM