BY Frank Spinelli, M D
April 15 2010 1:30 PM ET
Protein-rich foods include chicken and turkey; fish, such as salmon, tuna, and snapper, are also high in protein, except when deep- fried. The number one source for protein is egg whites, which are very popular for weight trainers; however, avoid the yolk, which is high in cholesterol. Red meats are also a good source of protein. Contrary to popular belief, lean cuts of sirloin, round, and chuck have less then 7 percent fat.
Since most people argue that their diet is adequate, try keeping a food journal for twenty- four hours. Write down everything you eat and the time at which it was consumed. Afterward, review the journal with your doctor to see exactly what your diet consists of.
Maintaining a routine diet and exercise regimen is a great way to keep in shape. Do not get obsessed with weight itself. It’s better to rely on how well your clothes fit then an actual number.
Finally, no gay health assessment would be complete without a thorough review of how you envision yourself. Gay men are particularly prone to issues concerning body image. Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) is an unhealthy preoccupation with one’s appearance that can interfere with daily life, creating anxiety and depression. The result is a compulsive concern over the slightest defect in one’s own appearance. This can lead to eating disorders, anabolic steroids use, and plastic surgery.
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 4:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 4:00 AM
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM