Anxiety and Depression Together?
BY R. Morgan Griffin
October 20 2010 5:00 AM ET
There are lots of different ways to treat depression and anxiety effectively. But experts say that they all hinge on one thing: a good relationship with your health care provider. Whether you see a general doctor, psychiatrist, psychologist, or social worker -- or a combination -- you need to work well together. Recovery will be a collaborative project.
"Really, the first treatment people with depression and anxiety need is education," MacKinnon says. "When they come in for treatment, they're often bewildered. But just talking to an expert who takes the time to explain the basics -- to define what depression and anxiety are and how they are treated -- can reduce a lot of the suffering right away."
So find someone whom you trust and can work with. And stick with it.
"Depression and anxiety together can be hard to treat," Cook says. "But the odds are very good that people with these conditions can get their lives back and feel well again. They just need to hang in there while we find the treatment that works."
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 41 min 46 sec ago
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 1 hour 42 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 2 hours 8 min ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 2 hours 42 min ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM