BY Advocate Contributors
September 24 2009 5:30 PM ET
A lot of things have changed for LGBT community since I publicly came out in June 1990. Most of these changes are for the better. As a country, we have a way to go in terms of achieving full equality for gays, lesbians and transgender citizens, but huge strides have been made in terms of fighting discrimination and gaining acceptance. Homophobia is still a major problem in the United States and in major league baseball. Just look at how many professional baseball players are out -- none! However, as I travel the country giving talks at corporations, universities, and conferences, I see that LGBT people are living freer, more open lives than ever before.
Unfortunately, some of the most important things have not changed at all. Gay and bisexual men are still severely impacted by HIV and AIDS. Almost half of the people with HIV/AIDS in the United States are gay or bisexual men. More important, the number of HIV diagnoses among gay and bisexual men rises every year. Gay and bisexual men are the only demographic where this is happening.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- PHOTOS: New Yorkers Combat Violence With Protest
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 11 min 22 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 15 min 45 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 1 hour 46 min ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 1 hour 50 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 2 hours 12 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 2 hours 15 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM