BY Advocate Contributors
September 24 2009 4:30 PM ET
That's why, in observance of Gay Men's HIV Awareness Day, I'm writing in order to raise awareness of this issue. There are a lot of reasons why gay men are more affected by HIV/AIDS than any other demographic. A lot of guys are unaware of their HIV status, so they transmit the disease without knowing it. Some of the younger generation think that HIV is a "manageable" disease.
Also, homophobia and stigma prevent people from getting access to HIV prevention services. As someone who had a career in professional baseball, I understand how hard it is to face discrimination in both your workplace and your community. We can't let these challenges stop us from living healthy and full lives. So we need to get the word out, take action to protect ourselves and our partners, and reach out to our gay brothers to let them know we care.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride 2 hours 39 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 5:49 PM