The New 60: In Dog Years
BY Robert Levithan
May 03 2010 12:50 PM ET
I live with an overeducated bitch.
Sophie is beautiful. She’s an elegant blond with a bit of Grace Kelly hauteur. She has shared my bed for almost five years. She has the equivalent of a Ph.D. She is often photographed and has appeared in an Oprah magazine, on the Web, and in newspaper features. She assists with more than 100 clients a week. She is intelligent. She is good at getting her way. She hates to be left home alone.
By the way, she’s a yellow Labrador.
Sophie was a guide dog for the blind, decommissioned at three years of age for "not wanting to work." She’s just too social to be a seeing-eye dog. When she first came to live with me, I called her "The Stepford Dog" because she was too good to be real. As the years go by, she becomes less perfect and more of an individual, stubborn and wily and therefore even more lovable in my estimation.
Sophie is not my first dog. Knickerbocker was also a yellow Lab, rescued from the Santa Fe Animal Shelter at about two years of age. He was handsome and dignified, joining me as I turned 40. At that point in my life, I had real concerns about his outliving me. My will provided a fund for Knick and stated who was to get him in the event of my death (presumably from AIDS). He died in 2000. I am still here. Of course, Sophie might outlive me, but I now live with the expectation that I will see her age and die, that once again my heart will be broken and once again I will go on.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 1 hour 43 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM