The New 60: In Dog Years
BY Robert Levithan
May 03 2010 12:50 PM ET
I live with an overeducated bitch.
Sophie is beautiful. She’s an elegant blond with a bit of Grace Kelly hauteur. She has shared my bed for almost five years. She has the equivalent of a Ph.D. She is often photographed and has appeared in an Oprah magazine, on the Web, and in newspaper features. She assists with more than 100 clients a week. She is intelligent. She is good at getting her way. She hates to be left home alone.
By the way, she’s a yellow Labrador.
Sophie was a guide dog for the blind, decommissioned at three years of age for "not wanting to work." She’s just too social to be a seeing-eye dog. When she first came to live with me, I called her "The Stepford Dog" because she was too good to be real. As the years go by, she becomes less perfect and more of an individual, stubborn and wily and therefore even more lovable in my estimation.
Sophie is not my first dog. Knickerbocker was also a yellow Lab, rescued from the Santa Fe Animal Shelter at about two years of age. He was handsome and dignified, joining me as I turned 40. At that point in my life, I had real concerns about his outliving me. My will provided a fund for Knick and stated who was to get him in the event of my death (presumably from AIDS). He died in 2000. I am still here. Of course, Sophie might outlive me, but I now live with the expectation that I will see her age and die, that once again my heart will be broken and once again I will go on.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher 1 hour 42 min ago
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts 2 hours 13 min ago
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 4:20 PM