Getting Fit for the New Year 2.0
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
January 16 2013 8:00 AM ET
Unlike Dance Central, NBA Baller Beats feels like a game made for real athletes — or, at least, people with more hand-eye coordination than I have. The first full body motion–based NBA video game lets you (dare I say, expects you) to work the ball like a pro. The game comes with an official NBA game ball replica, you choose your favorite NBA team to follow, and you’re supposed to bounce the ball to the beat of any one of 30 songs (hip-hop and rock, though you’ll find Lady Gaga and Queen on the list). There are three difficulty levels, but here’s the drill: It’s not just ball bouncing, even at the easiest “rookie” level. That part I managed fairly well, even though I had to kneel on the ground in order to keep “dribbling” to the beat.
But the game also challenges you to master ball-handling skills that you’d see at a real Lakers game (and as much as I dreamed of becoming a Harlem Globetrotter when I was 7, I pretty much stopped practice that same year after I found out they didn’t let girls in). So when the game would combine dribble with pump fakes, crossovers, flow dribble, and other moves (all of which I had to Google in order to name), my Xbox approval rating really plummeted. At one point my copilot began throwing the ball in the air (to compensate for the inability to keep up with the beats) and did better than I did.
Some cool parts of the game: In multiplayer mode you can go head-to-head against up to eight players (though I never would), along the way you unlock posters and trading cards with the NBA players’ greatest moves, and all along you get tips from two-time NBA champion Kenny Smith. The best part? The Kinect camera takes photos of you playing Baller Beats, which you can then upload from Xbox Live to Facebook. Of course, that’s only the best part if you don’t look as foolish as I did last night. (And perhaps if I had this game when I was 8, like the kids in this video, I’d have grasped it a bit more quickly.)
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- WATCH: Ark. High School Yearbook Refuses to Profile Out Student
- A Brief History of Gays and the St. Patrick's Day Parade
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Author of Russia's 'Gay Propaganda' Law Sanctioned for Role in Ukraine Crisis
- Television RPDR: Music Producer Lucian Piane on Pushing RuPaul & Working with Idol Contestants 53 sec ago
- Television How I Met Your Dad Adds Second Gay Character 2 min 40 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Wanda to Ellen: Look At the Lesbian Falling Off the Pole 5 min 55 sec ago
- Media LISTEN: Right-Wing Pundits Blast Guinness's Pullout From St. Pat's Parade 13 min 20 sec ago
- Travel WeHo's Most Notorious Nudie Motel Going Mainstream 46 min 36 sec ago
- Women 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 58 min 33 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain - How Two Women Fall In Love 1 hour 12 min ago