BY Michelle Garcia
August 22 2011 5:15 AM ET
Maria Mejia’s childhood in Miami was far from idyllic. By the time she reached 14, Mejia couldn’t stand her home environment—which included a strict father and a sexually abusive uncle—so she ran away from home. Mejia says she ended up running with a gang until the age of 18, when she met her first boyfriend.
- Panic! at the Disco Counters Westboro Baptist Church Picket With Donation
- Shocking Increase in HIV Diagnosis Rate Among Young Gay, Bi Men
- Don't Look a Gift Unicorn In the Mouth
- WATCH: Do Kids Movies Push The 'Gay Agenda'?
- GLAAD Studio Responsibility Index Reveals Lack of LGBT Visibility
- Fox Pundit: Obama Forcing 'Militant LGBT Agenda' on Christians