BY Michelle Garcia
August 22 2011 5:15 AM ET
Maria Mejia’s childhood in Miami was far from idyllic. By the time she reached 14, Mejia couldn’t stand her home environment—which included a strict father and a sexually abusive uncle—so she ran away from home. Mejia says she ended up running with a gang until the age of 18, when she met her first boyfriend.
- WATCH: Dodger Stadium Reacts to Same-Sex Couple on Kiss Cam
- Newly Out Fox Contributor Isn't Very Concerned About Gay Rights
- Out NYC Owners Call Gays 'Cheap,' 'Entitled' In Disastrous Interview
- WATCH: Can the GOP Presidential Field Get Any More Antigay?
- Could National Marriage Equality Mean the End of Gay Culture?
- Mixed Messages: Supreme Court Denies Review of 'Ex-Gay' Therapy Ban, Trans Inmate's Surgery