BY Michelle Garcia
August 22 2011 5:15 AM ET
Maria Mejia’s childhood in Miami was far from idyllic. By the time she reached 14, Mejia couldn’t stand her home environment—which included a strict father and a sexually abusive uncle—so she ran away from home. Mejia says she ended up running with a gang until the age of 18, when she met her first boyfriend.
- Kim Davis vs. the Internet
- WATCH: Dan Savage on Kentucky Clerk's Religious Double Standards
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- 'Old Redneck Hillbilly' Husband of Kim Davis Has a Warning for Nosey People
- Might Even Antonin Scalia Say Kim Davis Should Resign?