GMHC launches Institute for Gay Men's Health
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 03 2002 12:00 AM ET
New York City-based Gay Men's Health Crisis, the nation's oldest HIV/AIDS service organization, on Thursday will open its new Institute for Gay Men's Health, a program that links HIV education and prevention with a comprehensive promotion of wellness among gay men. "For two decades, Gay Men's Health Crisis has played a vital role in providing education, support, and advocacy for people and communities affected by HIV/AIDS," said GMHC executive director Ana Oliveira. "With the Institute for Gay Men's Health, we continue to evolve to meet new challenges faced by gay men, both HIV-positive and HIV-negative. The institute will address HIV as gay men experience it in their lives, within the context of various social and health issues."
The institute will focus on the following issues: Developing and delivering prevention services and interventions targeted at specific at-risk populations and the community at large; partnering and collaborating with other community-based organizations for leadership- and capacity-building; creating and maintaining public awareness of gay men's health and social justice issues; and participation in social and behavioral research and program evaluation activities; support for efforts fighting against homophobia, racism, and other forms of discrimination; supporting the role of volunteers in outreach and the provision of services; and working to address the wellness of all gay, bisexual, and transgendered men.
A ceremony marking the launch of the institute will be held October 3 at noon at 119 W. 24th St. in New York. Speakers at the event will include New York City councilman Philip Reed and Ron Stall of the National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM