MTV to hold Seattle, Cape Town concerts for World AIDS Day
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 05 2002 12:00 AM ET
Pop music channel MTV announced plans Thursday for concerts in Cape Town and Seattle to mark World Aids Day on December 1. Performers will include Alicia Keys, Missy Elliott, and Dave Matthews, among others. "I hope the global broadcast of the concert encourages young people to understand that HIV/AIDS is preventable," said Grammy Award winner Keys, who will perform during the South Africa concert on November 23. The Seattle concert will be held November 7, with a 90-minute special program covering both shows to air on MTV on World AIDS Day, reaching a potential audience of 2 billion people. MTV is also offering the taped special free of charge to other interested television networks worldwide. The concerts are sponsored by Levi Strauss and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- 10 Tips on Growing Older for LGBT People Under 40
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series