Congresswoman to receive AIDS award
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 12 2002 12:00 AM ET
U.S. representative Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) will receive the Global AIDS Alliance's Stop Global AIDS Leadership Award on October 5 for her efforts in fighting the disease both in the United States and internationally, particularly her support of debt relief for developing nations so that more money in poor countries can be spent on AIDS prevention and treatment. The award will be presented at a ceremony in Los Angeles. Also being honored at the event are U.S. senator Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) and ActionAid coordinator of HIV/AIDS programs Jackie Bataringaya.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- WATCH: These Gay Prospective Dads Sing 'Dear Future Baby' And It's Too Cute