Massachusetts court hears needle-exchange case
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 12 2002 12:00 AM ET
The Massachusetts supreme judicial court on Thursday heard arguments in a case that addresses whether it is a crime for a participant in a needle-exchange program in a certain city to carry needles outside that city's boundaries. The case involves Maria Landry, 22, a recovering drug addict who was arrested for shoplifting in Lynn, Mass., last year. After voluntarily telling police officers she had four hypodermic needles in her purse, she was charged with illegal syringe possession, even though she is a member of an authorized needle exchange in Cambridge, where she obtained the needles.
It is illegal to possess a hypodermic needle or syringe in Massachusetts without a prescription. In 1993, the state legislature amended the law to allow needle possession by people enrolled in pilot needle-exchange programs in Boston, Cambridge, Northampton, and Provincetown.
Prosecutors in the case argue it is still a crime for program participants to carry needles in a city or town that has not approved such a program. Sarah Wunsch, Landry's attorney, said the state's needle-exchange programs would be useless if participants are not allowed to take their needles to other communities. A decision is expected later this month.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM