Massachusetts court hears needle-exchange case
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 12 2002 12:00 AM ET
The Massachusetts supreme judicial court on Thursday heard arguments in a case that addresses whether it is a crime for a participant in a needle-exchange program in a certain city to carry needles outside that city's boundaries. The case involves Maria Landry, 22, a recovering drug addict who was arrested for shoplifting in Lynn, Mass., last year. After voluntarily telling police officers she had four hypodermic needles in her purse, she was charged with illegal syringe possession, even though she is a member of an authorized needle exchange in Cambridge, where she obtained the needles.
It is illegal to possess a hypodermic needle or syringe in Massachusetts without a prescription. In 1993, the state legislature amended the law to allow needle possession by people enrolled in pilot needle-exchange programs in Boston, Cambridge, Northampton, and Provincetown.
Prosecutors in the case argue it is still a crime for program participants to carry needles in a city or town that has not approved such a program. Sarah Wunsch, Landry's attorney, said the state's needle-exchange programs would be useless if participants are not allowed to take their needles to other communities. A decision is expected later this month.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Truly Social Networking
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 28 min 54 sec ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 1 hour 28 min ago
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 2 hours 29 min ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM