Study: HIV clinics give information inconsistently
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 15 2002 11:00 PM ET
A study by researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that health care providers at HIV clinics do not consistently provide HIV prevention information or advice on when clinic clients should disclose their serostatus, Reuters Health reports. The researchers surveyed 839 HIV-positive patients, each of whom attended one of six public HIV clinics in California. About 30% of the respondents said no clinic staff members had discussed safer sex with them, and about half said the clinics did not advise them on when or how to reveal their serostatus to sex partners.
The survey also showed that white clinic patients were less likely to receive HIV information than African-American and Latino clinic patients and that gay men were less likely to receive instruction than heterosexual men and women.
The researchers say the study could indicate that some health care providers mistakenly believe that gay men and whites are already better educated about safer sex and do not need additional instruction. Providers also may be uncomfortable talking about sex with gay clinic clients.
The full study appears in the journal AIDS.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Perez Hilton Coming to Reality TV as a Gay Dad
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Politics WATCH: Abortionists, Married Gays Leading 'War on Christmas,' Says O'Reilly 8 min 44 sec ago
- World News Israel's President, Shimon Peres, Backs Same-Sex Marriage 9 min 43 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: Davey Wavey Does Acceptance One Better 36 min 32 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Charged with Antigay Discrimination 1 hour 58 min ago
- HIV & AIDS There Are Other Ways to Prevent HIV Besides Condoms 2 hours 45 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS The Crisis in Prevention for the Gay Community 2 hours 2 min ago
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 11:29 AM