Study: HIV clinics give information inconsistently
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 16 2002 12:00 AM ET
A study by researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that health care providers at HIV clinics do not consistently provide HIV prevention information or advice on when clinic clients should disclose their serostatus, Reuters Health reports. The researchers surveyed 839 HIV-positive patients, each of whom attended one of six public HIV clinics in California. About 30% of the respondents said no clinic staff members had discussed safer sex with them, and about half said the clinics did not advise them on when or how to reveal their serostatus to sex partners.
The survey also showed that white clinic patients were less likely to receive HIV information than African-American and Latino clinic patients and that gay men were less likely to receive instruction than heterosexual men and women.
The researchers say the study could indicate that some health care providers mistakenly believe that gay men and whites are already better educated about safer sex and do not need additional instruction. Providers also may be uncomfortable talking about sex with gay clinic clients.
The full study appears in the journal AIDS.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver 1 hour 4 min ago
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans 1 hour 39 min ago
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 1 hour 53 min ago
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages 1 hour 55 min ago
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 4:14 PM