Whitman-Walker launches HIV prevention campaign
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 17 2002 12:00 AM ET
Whitman-Walker Clinic's G-Net program, a health and wellness program for gay and bisexual men in the Washington, D.C., area, is launching a new HIV/AIDS prevention campaign that specifically targets men who have sex with men. The campaign, funded by the district's health department, the HIV/AIDS Administration, and Whitman-Walker, will include ads in gay newspapers and in bus shelters throughout the city.
"Gay and bisexual men continue to be at high risk for HIV infection," said A. Cornelius Baker, executive director of Whitman-Walker Clinic. "In Washington, men who have sex with men account for 43% of all current cases of HIV infection. Nationwide, as many as one third of all gay and bisexual African-American men may be HIV-positive. We need to reach out to these men to ensure that they take the necessary steps to protect themselves."
The ads stress the need for gay and bisexual men to think of safer sex as they would any other regular safety activities in their lives, like locking their doors and wearing seat belts in their cars. "Why should sex be any different?" asked Stephen McDonnell, G-Net program manager. "It is vital that men know their own HIV status and take universal precautions to protect themselves during sex."
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics WATCH: Obama's Morehouse Commencement Speech Name-Checks Gay Rights 1 hour 37 min ago
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City 1 hour 58 min ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' 2 hours 7 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality 2 hours 33 min ago
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay 2 hours 44 min ago
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 6:00 PM