Studies: Early-stage breast cancer sufferers fare well with lumpectomies
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 19 2002 12:00 AM ET
Two studies in Thursday's edition of The New England Journal of Medicine suggest that women who have early-stage breast cancer fare just as well by having the lump removed as they do by undergoing complete breast-removal surgery. "Women who have the breast conserved get back to their normal routines quicker," Patrick Borgen, a breast cancer surgeon at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York, told ABCNEWS.com. "They get back to work quicker. They feel better about themselves."
The studies showed that a lumpectomy procedure, followed by radiation treatment, allows a woman with early-stage breast cancer to live just as long as she would if she had undergone a mastectomy to remove the entire breast. But only about half of all early-stage breast cancer cases in the United States are treated with lumpectomies, and many women aren't even informed that the less-invasive surgery is a safe option. "If a surgeon is really evaluating patients correctly and giving options correctly, breast-conserving therapy, or partial removal of the breast, would be performed in about 75% to 80% of women," Susan Troyan, surgical director of the Breast Care Center at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, told ABCNEWS.com. "There's no doubt that women in some areas, by some surgeons, are not getting the options they really should be given."
The studies showed that poor and uneducated women were the least likely to be told of cancer treatments other than mastectomy procedures. Even among college-educated women, 29% were not told of other treatment options by their physicians. Twelve states now require doctors to inform breast cancer patients of all available treatments so that those with early-stage disease can choose less drastic surgeries and avoid having a breast removed needlessly.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Cannes is Abuzz About Blue is the Warmest Color's Explicit Lesbian Sex Scenes 2 min 59 sec ago
- Sports Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia 30 min 13 sec ago
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 1 hour 26 min ago
- Transgender Transgender High School Senior Skips His Graduation 1 hour 26 min ago
- Books Q&A Quickie: Justin Hernandez, from Gay Stripper to Naked Author 1 hour 32 min ago
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 1 hour 46 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 2 hours 14 min ago