Milwaukee needle-exchange funding restored
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 24 2002 12:00 AM ET
The Milwaukee County board's finance and audit committee voted unanimously last week to restore $150,000 to the county's 2003 budget that supports a needle-exchange program and other AIDS prevention efforts, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports. The original proposed budget for the county did not include funding for the program and cut more than $230,000 for AIDS prevention programs in the Milwaukee area. County executive Scott Walker said he does not believe it is the county's responsibility to handle AIDS prevention work and he thinks the needle-exchange program would encourage illegal drug use. The program is run by the AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin.
Walker blasted the committee's move to restore funding for the needle exchange. "I have a hard time believing that a majority of Milwaukee County taxpayers want their tax dollars going to pay to continue the habits of illegal drug users," he said. He has threatened to veto any budget changes that push the budget into a deficit or cause tax increases. The full county board will vote on the amended budget on November 4.
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 26 min 32 sec ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 57 min 52 sec ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 4:04 PM
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 3:30 PM
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 3:18 PM
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 3:02 PM