Milwaukee needle-exchange funding restored
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 23 2002 11:00 PM ET
The Milwaukee County board's finance and audit committee voted unanimously last week to restore $150,000 to the county's 2003 budget that supports a needle-exchange program and other AIDS prevention efforts, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports. The original proposed budget for the county did not include funding for the program and cut more than $230,000 for AIDS prevention programs in the Milwaukee area. County executive Scott Walker said he does not believe it is the county's responsibility to handle AIDS prevention work and he thinks the needle-exchange program would encourage illegal drug use. The program is run by the AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin.
Walker blasted the committee's move to restore funding for the needle exchange. "I have a hard time believing that a majority of Milwaukee County taxpayers want their tax dollars going to pay to continue the habits of illegal drug users," he said. He has threatened to veto any budget changes that push the budget into a deficit or cause tax increases. The full county board will vote on the amended budget on November 4.
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM