Republicans object to proposed college doctoral program in sexuality
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 25 2002 12:00 AM ET
Thirty Republican members of Congress have written a letter to Health and Human Services secretary Tommy Thompson urging him to reject a $200,000 grant application from the University of Wisconsin, Madison, to create a doctoral program in human sexuality research, Madison's Wisconsin State Journal reports. The program would allow students to specialize in a particular area of sexuality, such as HIV and sexually transmitted disease prevention. The right-wing lawmakers object to the program because it would not include segments on abstinence. They called the grant request "biased" because they believe any educational courses on sexuality, even at the doctorate level, must include a focus on abstinence as a means to prevent HIV, STDs, and unwanted pregnancies.
The lawmakers urge HHS to instead increase funding for research to "better understand the value of abstinence-only education in terms of prevention of sexually transmitted diseases, [unintended] pregnancies, and other negative health consequences that result from becoming sexually active at a young age." Among the lawmakers to sign the letter are representatives Dave Weldon (R-Fla.), Jim Ryun (R-Kan.), Steve Chabot (R-Ohio), Melissa Hart (R-Pa.), Chris Smith (R-N.J.), and Joe Pitts (R-Pa.).
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 46 min 37 sec ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM