E.U. officials unveil plan to regulate shipping of AIDS drugs
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 02 2002 1:00 AM ET
European Union officials unveiled a plan Wednesday to ensure that discounted anti-HIV drugs intended for delivery to developing nations are not diverted to wealthy nations and sold at higher prices. Under the new proposal, pharmaceutical companies will register and place logos on shipments of discounted drugs for developing countries that specifically label the medications as banned for reimportation into Europe.
The E.U. plan was developed after customs officials discovered that up to 28 shipments containing about 3 million doses of GlaxoSmithKline's anti-HIV drugs Combivir, Epivir, and Trizivir were diverted by European wholesalers from Africa and sold in Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom between July 2001 and July 2002. The drugs were intended for distribution in five central African nations.
At least four European countries have launched investigations into the drug fraud. The drug labeling and packaging proposal has been approved by the European Commission, and the governments of individual E.U. member nations are expected to adopt the plan by the end of the year.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 1 hour 33 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 1 hour 38 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 2 hours 53 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM