Republicans call for USAID to rescind HIV/AIDS funding
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 02 2002 1:00 AM ET
Ten Republican representatives have written to the director of the U.S. Agency for International Development, asking him to rescind $65 million awarded last week for HIV/AIDS programs to the Population Council, a nonprofit health and social science research organization, and instead direct the money to an organization that "does not support or perform abortions." The letter says that funding the Population Council violates the Bush administration's policy prohibiting tax dollars from going to international groups that provide abortion services. Because the Population Council holds a patent on the abortion pill mifepristone, also known as RU-486, the lawmakers claim the agency is a "promoter and provider" of abortion. Although all of the money in question goes specifically to HIV/AIDS prevention programs, the conservative lawmakers still insist that the funds not be allocated to the Population Council.
The letter also asks USAID to provide a breakdown of the amount of its funds that are used to "fund or promote" research or implementation of international abstinence-only programs. The lawmakers are "extremely disappointed" that the Population Council's Horizons HIV prevention programs include information on condom use and do not recommend abstinence.
The letter was signed by Reps. Christopher Smith of New Jersey, Jo Ann Davis of Virginia, Joseph Pitts of Pennsylvania, Roscoe Bartlett of Maryland, Jim DeMint of South Carolina, Mark Souder of Indiana, Sue Myrick of North Carolina, David Vitter of Louisiana, John Sullivan of Oklahoma, and Todd Akin of Missouri.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs 2 hours 46 min ago
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy 2 hours 49 min ago
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1:01 PM
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM