What is "too much sex"?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 06 2002 12:00 AM ET
Researchers at the Center for HIV Educational Studies and Training and the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City have been interviewing gay and bisexual men who see their lives "spinning out of control" in pursuit of their next sexual conquest. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which is funding the study, wants to find out more about why some gay men have a compulsion to indulge in risky sex.
Called Project SPIN, the study aims "to identify a common set of symptoms or diagnostic criteria," Jeffrey Parsons, MD, who heads the project, told the New York Blade. "This work will help to build a consensus in the therapeutic community about what constitutes the disorder and, hopefully, result in better ways to treat it."
The study so far has found that sexually compulsive men take more chances than other men. Of 101 interviewed, the vast majority of HIV-positive participants do not use condoms, while 40% of HIV-negative participants do not. The men had an average of 35 sex partners during a three-month period.
Gay men present their own set of rules and have to be studied by themselves, Parsons said. Researchers who study heterosexual behavior use the number of orgasms per week as a criterion, which would not work for anal-receptive partners. Parsons defines a sexual compulsive as someone whose life is spinning out of control; this person misses work or is regularly late, keeps odd hours, and takes more chances with sex. The Internet plays a big part in obtaining sex. Men in the study spend an average of 16 hours a week surfing the Internet.
- Op-ed: Pope Francis Has Not Made Good on Transgender Rights
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 27 Awesome Gifts for Entertainment Buffs 51 min 9 sec ago
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars December 19 2013 11:06 PM
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out December 19 2013 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain December 19 2013 6:33 PM