$1.1 million awarded for false HIV diagnosis
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2002 12:00 AM ET
A Richland County, S.C., jury has awarded $1.1 million to a woman who said Palmetto Health Richland Hospital misdiagnosed her with HIV infection. In her lawsuit, Melinda Medlin said the hospital--then called Richland Memorial Hospital--diagnosed her as HIV-positive in February 1994.
William Newman III, MD, said Medlin was more than 30 weeks' pregnant at the time, court papers show. For several years she took medications, including the drug AZT, her lawsuit states. She said she had no symptoms of the disease and that another test in 1998 by a different laboratory confirmed she had been misdiagnosed. Her condition was reported to "one or more" state or federal agencies, the lawsuit says.
Medlin said the misdiagnosis wrecked her life with "extreme depression, emotional distress, anxiety, fear, and other related trauma. I was so depressed, thinking I was going to die a horrible death. I gave up hope. Now I'm trying to get my life back together. I have lost so much of my life. I thank God every day for helping me find the mistake."
A jury agreed with her November 5, after deliberating about an hour following a two-day trial before circuit judge James Barber. In court papers the hospital contended it did not violate any standard of care. The hospital has asked the judge to reduce the award to $250,000 under the state's tort claims act, which limits damages against public entities. A ruling is pending.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Memories of JFK From His Gay Best Friend
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM