FDA approves new rapid-test kit for HIV
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2002 1:00 AM ET
Department of Health and Human Services secretary Tommy G. Thompson announced Thursday that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved a new rapid HIV diagnostic test kit that provides results with a reported 99.6% accuracy in as little as 20 minutes.
According to the manufacturer, OraSure Technologies, the OraQuick Rapid HIV-1 Antibody Test uses less than a drop of blood collected to detect antibodies to HIV-1, the virus that causes infection in most cases in the United States. OraSure says that, unlike other antibody tests for HIV, this test can be stored at room temperature, requires no specialized equipment, and may be considered for use outside traditional laboratory or clinical settings.
"Each year 8,000 HIV-infected people who go to public clinics for HIV testing do not return a week later to receive their test results," Thompson said. "With this new test, in less than a half an hour they can learn preliminary information about their HIV status, allowing them to get the care they need to slow the progression of their disease and to take precautionary measures to help prevent the spread of this deadly virus."
The FDA categorizes the OraQuick test as "moderate complexity" under the Clinical Laboratory Improvements Amendments of 1988. Under CLIA, new tests are categorized as either moderate or high complexity. This designation means that the OraQuick test can be given only in CLIA-approved labs by CLIA-certified laboratory technicians or medical staff. If the test manufacturer applies for a CLIA waiver, the FDA can evaluate it for use under less stringent conditions.
"I strongly urge the OraSure company to apply for a CLIA waiver," said Thompson. "If the FDA finds that the company's data proves that the OraQuick test is both easy and safe to use, it can get a CLIA waiver. Then the test could be given in many more health care settings, perhaps even administered by social workers in HIV counseling centers."
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 10 min 35 sec ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 50 min 56 sec ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM