WTO ministers reach agreement on drug access
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 16 2002 1:00 AM ET
World Trade Organization ministers meeting in Sydney on Thursday agreed on a proposal that will allow developing nations access to generic medicines to treat HIV/AIDS and other serious diseases, the Sydney Morning Herald reports. The meeting focused in part on how to implement a declaration approved in November 2001 by a WTO working group that said developing nations can override patent protections to manufacture generic medicines during times of health emergencies.
The ministers in Sydney have agreed to endorse an agreement that will allow some developing countries to manufacture generic versions of patented drugs for HIV/AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis and export those drugs to other poor countries on a case-by-case basis. The agreement includes provisions outlining which countries will be allowed to manufacture the drugs. The proposal also includes sections waiving "any formal trade legal action" against developing nations that produce generic pharmaceuticals and establishing guidelines so that cheap drugs aren't illegally diverted to wealthy nations.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM