Marijuana Policy Project may sue drug czar
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 22 2002 12:00 AM ET
The Marijuana Policy Project, a group that supports the use of medicinal marijuana to treat symptoms of diseases like AIDS, cancer, and glaucoma, may file a federal lawsuit against federal drug czar John Walters and the Office of National Drug Control Policy over Walters's lobbying efforts against marijuana ballot initiatives in Ohio, Nevada, and Arizona, FOXNews.com reports. MPP spokesman Bruce Mirken said Walters's lobbying visits were unethical and possibly illegal because his efforts were funded by federal tax dollars but were aimed at influencing state policies, which would violate the Constitution's separation of state and federal powers.
"There are legal and, frankly, moral questions here, particularly when you consider that he went through some effort in his campaign to demonize those who were running these initiatives while he runs his own campaign with an open checkbook of taxpayer money," Mirken said. Voters in all three states visited by Mirken rejected marijuana ballot initiatives on November 5, two of which dealt with marijuana use in general and did not focus specifically on medical marijuana issues.
Walters's office defended the drug czar's lobbying efforts, saying the visits to Ohio, Arizona, and Nevada were appropriate. "[Walters's job is] to go across the country and educate people about the dangers of drugs, and that's exactly what he did," said Jennifer deVallance, a spokeswoman for the ONDCP, which receives $20 billion a year to conduct antidrug efforts. She also said ONDCP welcomes a lawsuit filed by marijuana advocates. "That's fine, if that's how they want to spend their resources," she said. "If there's anything the government has plenty of, it's lawyers."
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- WATCH: Jon Stewart 'Sort of' Stands With Fox News in Defending Duck Dynasty Star
- How Gay is Duck Dynasty Merchandise?
- Seat Filler: Best New York Theater of 2013
- Education Hundreds Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal 1 hour 16 min ago
- Marriage Equality N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality 1 hour 17 min ago
- Entertainment News Wish Someone a Merry Xmas With Matt Bomer Magic Mike Holiday Cards 1 hour 22 min ago
- Entertainment News Hooray for Bob Newhart: Pulled Out of Antigay Event 1 hour 27 min ago
- Comedy How Gay is Duck Dynasty Merchandise? 1 hour 48 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Step Inside Sochi's Gay Nightclub 2 hours 15 min ago
- World News Third Russian Convicted Under 'Gay Propaganda' Law 2 hours 25 min ago