Wyoming AIDS drug programs run out of money
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 23 2002 12:00 AM ET
Two key programs in Wyoming that provide antiretroviral medications to low-income HIV-positive state residents will run out of money within the next 45 days, and new federal grant money isn't available until April 1. The state's AIDS Drug Assistance Program and the Wyoming HIV/AIDS Care Program, both of which are funded through the same $340,000 annual Health and Human Services grant, have nearly depleted their current funds, which were supposed to last through March. Health officials say the money was spent more quickly than planned because of rising costs of anti-HIV medications.
Nearly 80 people in the state rely on the programs for anti-HIV drugs and financial assistance for other components of their health care. Many of these people are uninsured and will have their medications cut off when the programs run out of funds, say AIDS activists in the state. Tonya Cain of the Wyoming AIDS Project said her organization and others like it will likely have to step in and find additional sources of funding to help HIV-positive people in the state who lose access to antiretroviral drugs and other health care services. Officials at the state ADAP and Wyoming HIV/AIDS Care also are working to move clients into drug companies' patient assistance programs.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: Separate or Together?
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM