More than 80 patients of Nebraska clinic have contracted hepatitis C
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 27 2002 12:00 AM ET
More than 80 patients of a Fremont, Neb.-based cancer clinic have contracted hepatitis C, likely due to "poor infection control" at the clinic, state health officials told the Omaha World-Herald. Health officials have tested 485 patients since discovering the outbreak of the disease and found that 82, including the patient believed to be the origin of the outbreak, are infected with the hepatitis C virus. Letters were sent in October to 612 patients who were treated at the clinic between March 1, 2000, and December 31, 2001, advising them to seek voluntary testing. The clinic was closed earlier this fall after the outbreak was reported.
State inspectors believe the infections occurred when a worker at the clinic reused a contaminated hypodermic needle to treat several patients or used a contaminated needle to draw medication from a vial, thereby contaminating all of the remaining medication in the container. The state is conducting a public investigation to find the exact cause of the outbreak and to determine if clinic operator Tahir Javed or any members of his nursing staff should face criminal charges. At least 15 of the infected clinic patients have filed lawsuits against Javed and the clinic.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM