Powell invites entire diplomatic corps to HIV/AIDS meeting
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 04 2002 12:00 AM ET
The entire foreign diplomatic corps was invited to the State Department in Washington on Tuesday to hear Secretary of State Colin Powell deliver a message he hopes the envoys will convey to their governments: Political leadership is an essential component in the fight against HIV/AIDS. The meeting marks the first time all ambassadors from governments accredited in Washington were asked to gather to hear a message on a public health issue, said Jack Chow, the U.S. ambassador on HIV and AIDS issues.
"We know that national political leaders who are willing to speak out and commit their governments to a course of constructive action in combination with public health investment can make a difference," Chow said. He cited the example of Ugandan president Yoweri Museveni, who early in his presidency recognized AIDS as a national security threat and personally oversaw the creation of a joint center for research. As a result, Chow said, Uganda is one example of a country where "a leader made a tangible, concrete difference at the grassroots level."
Chow said he hopes the positive experiences of countries like Uganda can be replicated in what he called "special risk countries," which include Nigeria, Ethiopia, China, India, and Russia, all of which face a growing incidence of HIV/AIDS. The potential for catastrophe is high, he said, since these countries have high population densities with relatively weak public health systems.
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 26 min 30 sec ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 43 min 35 sec ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 52 min 7 sec ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 1 hour 17 min ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 1 hour 20 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 1 hour 53 min ago
- Media Michelle Malkin Sells Twitter Aggregator to Christian Media Company 1 hour 56 min ago