Southern HIV/AIDS leaders issue "call to action"
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 06 2002 12:00 AM ET
HIV/AIDS activists and service organization leaders from 13 Southern states and the District of Columbia on Wednesday issued a "call to action" for Southern states, outlining obstacles and setting goals to combat the spread of HIV in the region, The Miami Herald reports. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 130,000 people in the South have AIDS, more than any other region of the nation. But the region lags behind other areas of the country in receiving federal money for treatment and prevention programs. Other challenges for HIV-positive people in the South include a lack of access to services, increased rates of other sexually transmitted diseases, higher-than-average HIV/AIDS stigma, and chronic shortages of drugs for public treatment programs.
Gene Copello, executive director of Florida AIDS Action, which sponsored the regional conference where the call to action was drafted, said that the epidemic in the South is mirroring that in some developing nations and needs immediate attention before it escalates further. "We intend to be very loud about it and very forceful because our people are dying all over the South," he said.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM