Cambridge, Mass., student receives first Lisa Lopes AIDS Scholarship
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 12 2002 1:00 AM ET
Ineudira Barbosa, a student and volunteer with Teens for Education, Advocacy and Leadership in Cambridge, Mass., has been named the first recipient of the Lisa Lopes AIDS Scholarship, named in memory of Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes of the musical group TLC, the Boston Herald reports. Barbosa helps educate peers about sexuality, sexually transmitted diseases, birth control, pregnancy, and other sexual health issues at TEAL. She was selected from more than 20,000 applicants to receive the $25,000 scholarship.
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Op-Ed: Gay Purple Heart Recipient Says 'Mission Not Accomplished'
- Eurovision Winner Who Called Gays an 'Abnormality' Changes Tune
- Southern Rites: A Reminder of the Parallels of Prejudice