Study: Internet filters block sexual health, HIV/AIDS information
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 12 2002 12:00 AM ET
A study by the Kaiser Family Foundation published in the Journal of the American Medical Association shows that Internet filters intended to block access to online pornography on school and library computers often also block access to sites containing information on sexual health, including HIV/AIDS, The New York Times reports. The study, titled "See No Evil: How Internet Filters Affect the Search for Online Health Information" and conducted by researchers at the University of Michigan, tested six popular Internet filtering programs. Researchers found that the programs, when set at the least restrictive level, blocked nearly 9% of sexual health sites, and blocked about half when set at the most restrictive setting. Among the sites blocked were a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention site on sexually transmitted diseases and a Food and Drug Administration site on birth control.
A 2001 Kaiser study found that 44% of people between the ages of 15 and 17 use the Internet to research such topics as pregnancy, birth control, and HIV prevention. In light of this, Vicky Rideout, Kaiser vice president, says the software settings libraries and schools use to filter pornography are the key in ensuring that youth are guaranteed access to sexual health data online. The Children's Internet Protection Act of 2000 requires that all schools and libraries use software to block access to online pornography or risk losing federal funds. But each facility is permitted to choose how restrictively they set Internet filtering parameters.
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 41 min 34 sec ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 2 hours 21 min ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 2 hours 30 min ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM