Experimental HIV vaccine "promising"
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 27 2002 1:00 AM ET
An experimental HIV vaccine being studied by researchers in France was shown to be "promising" in animal tests in dramatically reducing the amount of virus in monkeys infected with the simian immunodeficiency virus, researchers say. The vaccine, which aims not to prevent HIV infection but instead to slow the virus in the body, was shown to drop viral levels in the animals' blood 50-fold and specifically in blood plasma by 1,000-fold, said Wei Lu of René Descartes University in Paris. For some of the animals, the decreases in viral levels persisted as long as 10 months.
The vaccine works by prompting the body's immune system to better recognize and attack the virus inside the body. In the experiment, 10 macaques that had been infected with SIV were vaccinated using a type of cell called dendritic cells, which had been exposed to chemically inactivated SIV. Dendritic cells produce antigens that battle diseases invading the body, and their exposure to the inactivated SIV primed them to attack real copies of the virus. The macaques were given five injections over two months. While the virus was not eliminated in any of the monkeys, it was sharply reduced in seven of them as long as 10 months later. "We are now working on an improved protocol aimed at immunologic eradication" of the virus, Lu said.
The full study appears in the online edition of the journal Nature Medicine.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM