California woman protests abstinence-only sex education program
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 28 2002 1:00 AM ET
A California woman has requested that the Mount Diablo school district in Concord, Calif., end an abstinence-only sex education program for middle school students because the program is run by an anti-abortion group that is giving "biased and graphic" information about abortions to the students, the Contra Costa Times reports. Renee Walker sent a letter to the school district and the state superintendent after she learned that her son had participated in an eight-day program called "CryBabies" that was conducted by First Resort, a Christian pregnancy counseling service that opposes abortion.
Walker said she became concerned about the program when her son reported that the sex education classes focused heavily on abortion, including graphic descriptions of many of the specific medical procedures involved with having an abortion. She also said the program did not provide any information on how to prevent pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases other than abstinence. "What I send my kids to school for is to get an education," she said. "My expectation is that education is going to be based on educationally sound, research-based, age-appropriate information. I don't expect a political agenda in school."
The CryBabies program was pulled from Oakland, Calif., schools in 2000 after another parent complained of inaccurate information, but the school district reinstated the program after the material was "updated and revised," according to the Times. CryBabies program director Deborah Morris defended the program, saying it provides "unbiased and factual information." Mount Diablo school district officials plan to meet in January to discuss its health curriculum, including the CryBabies program.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Rising Above the Down Low
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM