California woman protests abstinence-only sex education program
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 28 2002 12:00 AM ET
A California woman has requested that the Mount Diablo school district in Concord, Calif., end an abstinence-only sex education program for middle school students because the program is run by an anti-abortion group that is giving "biased and graphic" information about abortions to the students, the Contra Costa Times reports. Renee Walker sent a letter to the school district and the state superintendent after she learned that her son had participated in an eight-day program called "CryBabies" that was conducted by First Resort, a Christian pregnancy counseling service that opposes abortion.
Walker said she became concerned about the program when her son reported that the sex education classes focused heavily on abortion, including graphic descriptions of many of the specific medical procedures involved with having an abortion. She also said the program did not provide any information on how to prevent pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases other than abstinence. "What I send my kids to school for is to get an education," she said. "My expectation is that education is going to be based on educationally sound, research-based, age-appropriate information. I don't expect a political agenda in school."
The CryBabies program was pulled from Oakland, Calif., schools in 2000 after another parent complained of inaccurate information, but the school district reinstated the program after the material was "updated and revised," according to the Times. CryBabies program director Deborah Morris defended the program, saying it provides "unbiased and factual information." Mount Diablo school district officials plan to meet in January to discuss its health curriculum, including the CryBabies program.
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: 'Idiotic' or 'Important?'
- Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
- Maddow to Putin: Ha! Take That!
- Pope Removes Hard-Line Marriage Equality Opponent From Vatican Panel
- Year in Review The Advocate's Person of the Year: 'Idiotic' or 'Important?' 5:00 AM
- Women Kim Basinger is Sleek and Sexy in Pin-Striped Men's Suit December 18 2013 9:50 PM
- Women Op-ed: The Right's War on Christmas - The 2013 Edition! December 18 2013 9:06 PM
- Entertainment News Ian McKellen Surprised Hobbit Fans At Desolation of Smaug Screening December 18 2013 7:07 PM
- Travel Sia Wants You to Help the Street Animals of India December 18 2013 5:23 PM
- Media BBC to Air Buffy The Vampire Slayer Retrospective December 18 2013 4:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! December 18 2013 4:49 PM