First Canadian injection drug site to open by March
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 01 2003 1:00 AM ET
Canada's first safe injection drug site for intravenous drug users will be opened with federal approval in Vancouver by late February or early March, Vancouver mayor Larry Campbell told the Vancouver Sun. Campbell said all indications are that no major barriers will prevent a Vancouver team of health and science agencies from submitting a proposal the first week of January and getting approval within the 60 days required by Health Canada.
It is expected that several Vancouver agencies, including the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority, the British Columbia Center for Excellence in HIV/AIDS, and the Center for Disease Control, will submit an "umbrella" proposal to establish several injection sites at once rather than submitting individual proposals. The cities of Victoria, Winnipeg, Montreal, and Quebec City are expected to follow suit later in the year.
The sites are being established to help prevent accidental drug overdoses and to stop drug users from sharing needles and other paraphernalia, which can transmit HIV, hepatitis, and other blood-borne diseases. Budgetary and police oversight issues for the injection drug sites still remain to be worked out.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 25 min 15 sec ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM