Cambodia has Asia's highest HIV prevalence rate
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 17 2003 1:00 AM ET
Officials from the United Nations Joint Programme on HIV/AIDS report that Cambodia now has the highest HIV prevalence rate in Asia, with about 1.5% of the nation's population infected with the virus, the San Francisco Chronicle reports. Among female sex workers in the country, the prevalence rate is estimated to be 40%. Government officials have launched a multifaceted campaign to fight HIV in the country, including a national law requiring sex workers in brothels, which are legal in the country, to use condoms. About 20 Cambodians become infected with HIV every day.
- Op-ed: The Fine Line Between Gay Pride and Alcoholism
- WATCH: Fox News Discovers Viewers Not as Transphobic as Hosts
- Op-ed: Christian Schools Like Gordon College Don't Need a License to Discriminate
- Department of Education Offers Antitrans University a 'Religious Exemption'
- Laverne Cox: The Making of an Icon
- Hot Sheet: Demi-Vicious Pride