Cambodia has Asia's highest HIV prevalence rate
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 17 2003 1:00 AM ET
Officials from the United Nations Joint Programme on HIV/AIDS report that Cambodia now has the highest HIV prevalence rate in Asia, with about 1.5% of the nation's population infected with the virus, the San Francisco Chronicle reports. Among female sex workers in the country, the prevalence rate is estimated to be 40%. Government officials have launched a multifaceted campaign to fight HIV in the country, including a national law requiring sex workers in brothels, which are legal in the country, to use condoms. About 20 Cambodians become infected with HIV every day.
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- 15 Queer Documentaries That Helped Define Us
- New Report Underlines Savage Inequalities Faced by LGBT Americans
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun