Cambodia has Asia's highest HIV prevalence rate
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 17 2003 1:00 AM ET
Officials from the United Nations Joint Programme on HIV/AIDS report that Cambodia now has the highest HIV prevalence rate in Asia, with about 1.5% of the nation's population infected with the virus, the San Francisco Chronicle reports. Among female sex workers in the country, the prevalence rate is estimated to be 40%. Government officials have launched a multifaceted campaign to fight HIV in the country, including a national law requiring sex workers in brothels, which are legal in the country, to use condoms. About 20 Cambodians become infected with HIV every day.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Right-Wing Ad: Marriage Equality Will Cause Freedom's 'Extinction'
- Bobby Jindal: Louisiana's Antigay Marriage Bill Isn't About Discrimination
- Artist Spotlight: Chris von Steiner
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House