Syphilis rates continue to rise among L.A. gays
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 17 2003 12:00 AM ET
AIDS Healthcare Foundation officials in Los Angeles are calling for increased sexually transmitted disease education and outreach efforts in gay neighborhoods in the city following reports that the number of syphilis cases increased 62% among gay and bisexual men in Los Angeles County in 2002, GayHealth.com reports. Among gay men contracting the sexually transmitted disease, 60% also are infected with HIV. Health officials say the true number of syphilis infections is likely much higher because many cases among gay and bisexual men have not yet been diagnosed.
Michael Weinstein, president of the AIDS Healthcare Foundation, says increased outreach is needed to bring down the numbers of new infections, particularly in areas of Los Angeles County with large gay populations, like West Hollywood. "You can't find condoms in most of West Hollywood's bars, and the county is sending out its mobile STD van only two days this month," he said. "You can't stop an outbreak of this kind without prevention, testing, and treatment. On all those counts our public health authorities are failing."
- Op-ed: Pope Francis Has Not Made Good on Transgender Rights
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: 'Idiotic' or 'Important?'
- Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 27 Awesome Gifts for Entertainment Buffs 55 min 39 sec ago
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars December 19 2013 11:06 PM
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out December 19 2013 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain December 19 2013 6:33 PM