University of Pittsburgh receives grant to study HIV microbicide
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 18 2003 12:00 AM ET
The National Institutes of Health has awarded an $8 million grant to the University of Pittsburgh to study an antiviral gel that has shown promise as a microbicide that may block HIV infections, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports. The compound, called UC781, also has been shown in lab tests to be effective in preventing infections by most other sexually transmitted diseases.
The grant is the fourth to be granted by NIH agencies for the development of an HIV microbicide. UC781 is an experimental nonnucleoside reverse transcription inhibitor that works in a microbicide gel by binding tightly to copies of HIV and preventing them from entering human immune cells.
Senior investigator Sharon Hilier said human testing to determine the safety of a gel formulation of UC781 is expected to begin before the end of the year. Additional clinical trials will be conducted in conjunction with the HIV Prevention Trial Network. "We hope to have an effective microbicide that can protect women against HIV in the next seven to eight years," Hilier said.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 23 min 40 sec ago
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 1 hour 58 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 2 hours 52 min ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 3:17 PM
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 3:09 PM
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 2:44 PM
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 2:41 PM