University of Pittsburgh receives grant to study HIV microbicide
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 18 2003 12:00 AM ET
The National Institutes of Health has awarded an $8 million grant to the University of Pittsburgh to study an antiviral gel that has shown promise as a microbicide that may block HIV infections, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports. The compound, called UC781, also has been shown in lab tests to be effective in preventing infections by most other sexually transmitted diseases.
The grant is the fourth to be granted by NIH agencies for the development of an HIV microbicide. UC781 is an experimental nonnucleoside reverse transcription inhibitor that works in a microbicide gel by binding tightly to copies of HIV and preventing them from entering human immune cells.
Senior investigator Sharon Hilier said human testing to determine the safety of a gel formulation of UC781 is expected to begin before the end of the year. Additional clinical trials will be conducted in conjunction with the HIV Prevention Trial Network. "We hope to have an effective microbicide that can protect women against HIV in the next seven to eight years," Hilier said.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM