Officials to review HIV/AIDS spending in D.C.
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 28 2003 12:00 AM ET
The District of Columbia inspector general has launched a review of whether millions of dollars of district and federal money was misspent by two employees of an HIV/AIDS office who are being investigated for their possible participation in a Washington Teachers' Union financial scandal, The Washington Post reports. The scandal broke in December when allegations surfaced that top officials in the teachers union had misspent more than $2 million of union members' dues to buy themselves luxury items, including a $20,000 fur coat and a $57,000 Tiffany silver service. A federal grand jury is currently reviewing union documents as part of a joint investigation by the FBI, Labor Department, and D.C. inspector general's office.
Two figures in the union scandal--Michael Martin and Errol Alderman--work in the D.C. Department of Health's HIV/AIDS office and were partners in a business called Expressions Unlimited. An FBI affidavit and a recent audit by the American Federation of Teachers said it appeared that the business received improper payments from the union. Investigators are now trying to determine if any HIV/AIDS funds were also misspent. Martin, operations manager for the HIV/AIDS office, said last week that he did not know of any financial impropriety.
Gloria P. Johnson, chief of staff for the inspector general's office, said the new review of HIV/AIDS spending will begin immediately. "It will be a comprehensive review of everything going on in the office," she said. "All of our auditors and inspectors are required to refer to our investigative unit any findings that are suspicious."
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM