Study: Sustiva's side effects more common than originally thought
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 29 2003 12:00 AM ET
A new study by researchers at San Francisco General Hospital shows that treatment with the HIV nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor Sustiva has a higher rate of several psychiatric side effects than had been previously reported, AIDS Alert reports. "The serious side effects are suicidal depression, including agitation, aggression, and hallucinations," said researcher Talia Puzantian.
Previous reports had stated that serious side effects occurred in fewer than 2% of those who took the anti-HIV medication. But by comparing a database of clinical information from HIV patients who had discontinued the drug between March 2000 and February 2002 with data from patients who had stopped taking the protease inhibitor Viracept during the same time frame, the researchers found that the psychiatric side effects of Sustiva were much more common. More than 18% of the patients complained of vivid dreams or nightmares, 14.7% complained of insomnia, and 7.3% complained of dizziness. Other effects included feelings of being high or having a hangover, hallucinations, and a sense of euphoria, dysphoria, and confusion. Depression also was reported by 12% of the Sustiva group, compared with 1.1% of the Viracept group.
"Be aware that these psychiatric side effects can occur and probably occur more than we think," Puzantian said. "We can't really guess who it's going to happen to, so we shouldn't assume that if someone doesn't have a substance use or psychiatric illness that it won't occur."
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM