Fuzeon's price will be just under $20,000
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 22 2003 12:00 AM ET
Officials from drugmakers Roche and Trimeris announced Thursday that the U.S. price for their newly approved HIV entry inhibitor Fuzeon will be just under $20,000 per year, making the drug the most expensive HIV medication on the market. The Food and Drug Administration approved the drug, the first of its kind that works by preventing HIV from entering immune system cells, on March 13. Trimeris and Roche officials say that the drug's complex 106-step manufacturing process is to blame for its high price. They estimate that because the drug is so difficult to manufacture, the company will be able to provide Fuzeon to only between 12,000 and 15,000 patients worldwide by the end of the year. About 10,000 of those patients will be Americans.
Company officials on Thursday also announced a "Progressive Distribution Program" for the medication, which includes reimbursement assistance programs for patients who can't pay Fuzeon's $20,000 annual price tag. "Several reimbursement programs for Fuzeon will be available for patients in need, and the company will work with the AIDS Drug Assistance Program to obtain inclusion and reimbursement for the drug," said a Roche-Trimeris press release, although specific details about the program were not provided.
Fuzeon will be available by prescription on a first-come, first-serve basis. "It's the most equitable solution to a difficult problem," said Trimeris spokeswoman Robin Fastenau.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Marriage Equality Good for New Mexico Kids, Experts Say
- Women WATCH: Behold! Tina Fey & Amy Poehler Are Back in First Golden Globes Promo 16 min 59 sec ago
- Latest News India Reinstates Gay Sex Ban 1 hour 10 min ago
- Entertainment News Carmen Carrera & Her Victoria's Secret Dream 1 hour 14 min ago
- Media Edie Windsor is No. 3 on Time's Person of Year Shortlist 2 hours 34 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM