AIDS Healthcare Foundation files amended lawsuit against Glaxo
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 24 2003 12:00 AM ET
The AIDS Healthcare Foundation has filed an amended lawsuit in federal court against drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline, challenging the company's patents on three of its anti-HIV medications, Reuters Health reports. AHF's original lawsuit--claiming that several of Glaxo's patents were invalid and that its prices on the medications exorbitantly exceeded the company's licensing, manufacturing, and distribution costs--was dismissed last month, but the judge allowed for the refiling of an amended complaint.
The amended lawsuit, filed in U.S. district court in Los Angeles, says that because Glaxo's drugs Epivir (3TC), Retrovir (AZT), and Ziagen were partially developed with federal tax dollars, the company's exclusive patents on the medications are invalid. The suit also alleges that Glaxo has monopolized the anti-HIV drug market. Michael Weinstein, AHF president, said in a statement that the organization is appealing the lawsuit because Glaxo's high antiretroviral prices have "cost untold numbers [of] lives. Despite GlaxoSmithKline's attempts to dismiss our lawsuit as 'frivolous,' our complaint is very serious indeed." Glaxo officials called the amended lawsuit "without merit."
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 1 hour 4 min ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 2 hours 6 min ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM