South African government delays setting date for AIDS program
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 16 2003 11:00 PM ET
Jacob Zuma, deputy president of the South African National AIDS Council, said Saturday that the South African government is still studying how to implement a national antiretroviral drug treatment program, but he did not announce when the plans would be announced, the South African Press Association reports. South African AIDS activists called off an ongoing civil disobedience campaign last spring when government officials said they would examine the feasibility of implementing a nationwide treatment program.
A task force has reported that launching a treatment program through the country's public hospital would cost about $1,100 per person per year, a figure some health officials have said is too high given the nation's limited health care budget. Zuma said government officials are at an "advanced stage of dealing with the task team report.... All of us recognize the urgency [of establishing a treatment program]. We are responsible enough to move as swiftly as possible."
Zuma made the announcement after meeting with the Treatment Action Campaign, an HIV/AIDS activist group that had spearheaded the civil disobedience campaign. Zackie Achmat, TAC chair, said the government is running out of time before the activists prepare to relaunch the campaign. "We really are giving the government its last opportunity," he said.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 35 min 58 sec ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 36 min 46 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM