British health system overwhelmed by HIV-positive people
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 18 2003 11:00 PM ET
The number of HIV-positive people receiving free treatment through the United Kingdom's National Health Service is so high that the nation is considering steps to limit the number of new patients seeking treatment, The [London] Sunday Telegraph reports. Because HIV-positive immigrants account for more than two thirds of those currently receiving government-paid treatment, the country is considering implementing a mandatory HIV screening process for immigrants, with those testing positive likely to be denied admission to seek medical care. U.K. human rights laws allow HIV-positive people from developing nations with poor health care systems to seek asylum in the United Kingdom in order to receive free medical care. But that policy has so taxed the health system that it now runs at an annual deficit of about $20 million.
"Not only do we not have enough money for our own population, but we are having to treat lots of people from other countries," said Anne Edwards, a consultant for the Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals NHS Trust. "We are shelling out huge amounts of money."
Government officials met last week to discuss immigration restrictions for HIV-positive people. "We have moved from considering whether to introduce screening to what form it should take," a senior official told the Telegraph. "We are drawing up a list of high-risk countries."
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM