Report: N.Y. schools don't adequately conduct AIDS and sex education
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 27 2003 11:00 PM ET
A study conducted by New York assemblyman Scott Stringer, a Manhattan Democrat, found that more than 60% of the school districts in New York State violate state or local regulations on providing students with education on AIDS and sex, The New York Times reports. The study, based on a survey of school administrators, showed that many schools lack trained health teachers, use outdated textbooks and curricula, and sometimes even fail to offer required instruction on such issues as drug abuse and HIV/AIDS prevention.
The study showed that the statewide sex education curriculum hasn't been updated since 1986 and the HIV/AIDS curriculum was last updated 12 years ago. Nearly two thirds of the districts surveyed for the study did not have adequately trained teachers to instruct students about HIV/AIDS. Stringer said he conducted the study because he believes health education has largely been ignored in New York for the past decade. Officials with the state Department of Education say they are looking into how health programs are operated throughout the state's school districts.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 1 hour 5 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM