FDA approves Emtriva
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 03 2003 12:00 AM ET
The Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday approved Emtriva (emtricitabine), formerly known as FTC, a new once-daily HIV nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor developed by Gilead Sciences. The drug was approved for use in combination HIV antiretroviral therapy. The FDA based its approval on data from two 48-week clinical trials showing that the drug, when used as part of combination therapy, lowered blood-based viral levels and raised T-cell counts in both treatment-naive and treatment-experienced HIV-positive adults. Emtriva is indicated for adults ages 18 and older. Safety and effectiveness in pediatric patients have not been determined.
The recommended dose of the drug is one 200-milligram capsule daily, taken with or without food. Common side effects of the medication include headache, diarrhea, nausea, rash, and skin discoloration on the palms of the hands and soles of the feet. It is recommended that all patients with HIV be tested for hepatitis B infection before beginning Emtriva because some clinical trial participants coinfected with HIV and hepatitis B reported hepatitis flare-ups after discontinuing the medication.
Gilead officials say the drug will be available and shipped to wholesalers next week. The U.S. wholesale price of the medication is $252.83 for a one-month supply. Gilead officials say the company is now working to develop a single pill that combines Emtriva with its other once-a-day anti-HIV drug, the nucleotide reverse transcriptase inhibitor Viread, which received FDA approval in October 2001.
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go'
- Op-ed: It's Time To End 'Swiss Cheese' Equality
- Retirement Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia 1 hour 6 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1 hour 54 min ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM