Kenya investigates fake AIDS charities
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 11 2003 12:00 AM ET
Kenya's National AIDS Control Council has cut off funding to four fake AIDS charities as part of a sweeping investigation into dozens of nongovernmental groups around the country that claim to offer HIV services, The New York Times reports. AIDS officials in the African nation say that the large sums of money flowing into the country through international programs aimed at reducing the spread of HIV and treating HIV-positive Africans have resulted in corruption at some existing AIDS agencies and fraud at others that receive HIV funds but do not conduct any related programming.
"Ever since AIDS arrived on the scene, we've had all manner of people, some with no professional expertise, trying to elbow in on the pandemic," Frances Angila, head of Kenya's oversight group for nongovernmental organizations, told the Times. "The potential for fly-by-night organizations is very high."
President Mwai Kibaki, who was elected in 2002, has begun an anticorruption crackdown. Government observers say many of the public and private groups in the country are riddled with corruption following the 24-year presidency of Daniel arap Moi.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM