Illinois governor cuts HIV prevention funds
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 23 2003 11:00 PM ET
Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich earlier this month used a line-item veto to cut funding increases for HIV prevention and hepatitis C programs in the Chicago area, the Chicago Free Press reports. Blagojevich cut $1 million in AIDS prevention funds for programs serving communities of color and removed $600,000 for hepatitis C programs in Cook County. Blagojevich, a Democrat, pledged during his 2002 gubernatorial campaign to restore $2 million in HIV-prevention funding cut by former Gov. George Ryan, a Republican. However, state lawmakers passed a fiscal year 2004 budget that boosted funding to $3 million for HIV prevention services in communities of color. Blagojevich curtailed the funding increase, matching only his campaign promise to restore funds cut by Ryan.
"There was a commitment by the governor to put $2 million in and that's what he did," Blagojevich spokesperson Tom Schafer told the Free Press. "Keep in mind that the state had a $5 billion deficit. There's only so much the state can afford." Blagojevich also pledged to sign a law that would allow Illinois residents to purchase syringes at pharmacies without a doctor's prescription. However, as of mid July he had not signed the measure that had been approved by state lawmakers on May 13. Schafer said the governor is currently reviewing the provisions of the bill and is seeking input from proponents and opponents of the measure before he decides whether to sign it.
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 2 hours 50 min ago
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 6:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 5:00 AM
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM