Many HIV-positive people not obtaining test results, counseling
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 31 2003 12:00 AM ET
Two studies presented Monday at the 2003 National HIV Prevention Conference in Atlanta show that many people who test positive for HIV antibodies never return to testing sites to obtain their results and that many others who are told that they are infected with the virus do not receive adequate risk-reduction counseling. A study conducted by researchers at the University of California, San Francisco, showed that of 600 HIV-positive people surveyed, only 25% had discussed safer sex and other HIV prevention methods with their doctors. Only 6% of the study participants said they discussed the risks of specific sex acts with their health care provider.
A second study conduced by the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services showed that among gay and bisexual men who sought anonymous HIV antibody testing in gay bathhouses, 60% of the men who tested positive for HIV infection never returned to pick up the results of their tests. Of those men who did return to receive a positive test result, 11% said they had thought it "unlikely" or "very unlikely" that they would test positive.
Health officials said the studies indicated that doctors need to be better trained to counsel HIV-positive patients who engage in risky behavior, particularly in light of new federal recommendations that physicians better encourage their patients to get tested for HIV infection and urge safer sex among those who do test positive. They also noted that the problem of people not returning for their HIV test results can be solved by using the OraQuick rapid HIV test kits that can provide results in about 20 minutes, eliminating the sometimes days-long waiting period before HIV antibody test results are made available.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 1 min 27 sec ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 31 min 16 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 1 hour 24 min ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 2 hours 6 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 2 hours 11 min ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2:18 PM