Lawmakers, advocates ask companies to stop making condoms with nonoxynol-9
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 29 2003 11:00 PM ET
California lawmakers, HIV activists, and women's advocacy groups on Wednesday sent a letter to the Food and Drug Administration and companies that manufacture condoms asking them to stop making condoms that include the spermicide nonoxynol-9, the Los Angeles Times reports. The request was made based on studies showing that the spermicide may actually make it easier to be infected with HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases by irritating epithelial cells in the vagina and anus. About 35% of all condoms sold in the United States include nonoxynol-9.
The letter was signed by Democratic state lawmakers Paul Koretz and Herb Wesson as well as AIDS Healthcare Foundation president Michael Weinstein and National Women's Health Network board chair Sonja Herbert. Wesson told the Times that condom makers should "put ethics over profit. They must stop, and they must stop now. It is just the right thing to do." But officials from Church and Dwight, the maker of Trojan condoms, said in a statement that "calls for the market removal of condoms lubricated with the spermicide N-9 could confuse consumers about the benefits of using condoms to reduce the risk of disease transmission and potentially reduce condom use. Any decrease in overall condom use could have significant public-health consequences."
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit December 09 2013 9:41 PM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM